An easy recipe for crustless pumpkin and feta quiche. This quick quiche takes your leftover roasted pumpkin to the next level. Nestled in a fluffy and rich egg mixture, and topped with creamy feta, this vegetarian pumpkin dish is a great low carb, light dinner. No pastry is required which makes this quiche a delicious make-ahead lunch as well.
Why you’ll love this delicious recipe
- Quick and easy pumpkin quiche recipe – no pie crust or quiche base needed.
- Gluten-free, low carb meal.
- Versatile quiche recipe, add your favorite fillings.
- It makes easy breakfasts, light lunches, or lazy dinners.
Crustless pumpkin quiche ingredients
- Pumpkin – You need 1-2 cups of cubed, roasted pumpkin for this recipe depending on the size of your dish. You want to easily cover the dish with pumpkin pieces about 2 cm apart.
- Feta – Generously crumble feta over the quiche and again, depending on your dish you need about 75g. I use cow milk feta but this recipe also works with sheep or goat’s milk feta. You can use other salty cheeses including parmesan cheese or sharp cheddar as well.
- Eggs – Free-range eggs are best any medium or large eggs work best for this recipe. Simply add more if you’re using small eggs.
- Cream – Heavy cream gives this dish extra flavor. You can use light cream or milk if you prefer a lighter meal.
- Thyme – Dried or fresh thyme complements the salty feta and sweet pumpkin flavors. A classic match of flavors.
- Salt & Pepper – Keep in mind the saltiness of the feta when seasoning the eggs and cream mixture.
- A delicious way to use up leftover pumpkin and other roasted vegetables.
- Next time double-batch the ingredients and make a larger quiche. Just cook it for a few minutes longer until the egg and cream mixture is fully set.
- This savory pumpkin quiche stores and freezes well which makes it perfect for meal prep or a make-ahead dinner or lunch.
Other vegetables: This simple recipe uses roasted pumpkin only, but you can add a variety of other roasted and fresh vegetables including fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, sweet potato, or roasted red peppers.
Add meat: You can also add some crispy bacon pieces or fried chorizo slices to the egg mixture for some extra flavor and texture. Reduce the amount of salt you add to the eggs in that case.
Mini quiche: Create mini quiches in a large muffin tin or use mini quiche tins to make single-serve quiches.
Creamy butternut pumpkins (butternut squash) work best for roasting but you can also use buttercup, Hubbard, sugar pumpkin, Hokkaido pumpkin, or acorn squash.
You can store the delicious quiche in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze a whole quiche or individual slices in freezer-proof containers for up to 3 months. Simply defrost the quiche at room temperature.
Crustless Pumpkin and Feta Quiche
- 1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin cubed
- 5 eggs medium
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1/4 cup cream
- salt and black pepper
- 1/2 tsp thyme optional
- 1 tsp olive oil
- If you don't have leftover roasted pumpkin, roast 2 cups of peeled and cubed fresh pumpkin in a preheated oven for 40 minutes at 150F/180C. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper before roasting the pumpkin cubes.1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin
Make the quiche
- If you have leftover pumpkin on hand, start by preheating the oven at 180C/356F.
- Grease a medium, oven-proof baking dish with 1 tsp of olive oil or cooking spray to prevent the crustless quiche from sticking to the dish.1 tsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, add the eggs and whisk them lightly. Pour in the cream while whisking the eggs until they're well combined. Season the egg and cream mixture with salt and pepper, and fresh thyme, keeping in mind that feta is fairly salty.5 eggs, 1/4 cup cream, salt and black pepper, 1/2 tsp thyme
- Add the roasted pumpkin cubes to a pie dish and spread them out evenly. Pour over the egg mixture and crumble the feta on top of the quiche.1 1/2 cups roasted pumpkin, 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Bake the quiche in the oven for 20 minutes until the egg mixture has fully set and the top is golden brown.
- Remove it from the oven and let it cool for 10-15 minutes before serving it.