Melted dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and milk chocolate chips create Triple Chocolate Muffins with a rich chocolate flavor and gooey center. Greek yoghurt keeps the muffins super moist and fudgy without the need for oil. Perfect for afternoon tea and lunchboxes.
Fudgy brownie meets fluffy muffin. These super quick and easy muffins are a must-try for chocolate lovers. Say bye-bye to dry chocolate muffins!
- Chocolate – I recommend using dark / semi-sweet chocolate for a decadent, rich flavor that’s not too sweet but you can also make these muffins with your favorite milk chocolate.
- Cocoa powder – Unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder creates a rich and less bitter flavor than regular cocoa powder. Cacao powder can be used as well.
- Chocolate chips – Milk chocolate chips offer some sweetness to balance the richness of dark chocolate.
- Yogurt – Thick Greek yogurt keeps the muffins moist. You can use regular unsweetened yogurt as well but may need to reduce the amount of milk in the recipe.
- Butter – Unsalted butter works best but you can also use salted butter and simply omit the pinch of salt in the recipe.
- Flour – I recommend all-purpose flour but you can substitute it with self-raising flour as well and omit the baking powder.
- Vanilla – Vanilla essence or extract gives the muffins a complex flavor.
- You can melt the chocolate in a double boiler or straight in a saucepan while stirring constantly. If you’re melting the chocolate in the microwave, use short intervals and stir it in between to prevent it from burning.
- Don’t overmix the dough, or they can become tough.
- Don’t overbake the muffins to ensure a gooey center and moist texture.
Sign-up for my newsletter to receive more from-scratch recipes straight to your inbox.
Triple Chocolate Muffins (without oil)
- Large muffin tin
- Paper muffin cups
- Kitchen scales
- Measuring cups
- Large mixing bowl
- Small saucepan
- Small bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 100 gr dark chocolate melted
- 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup butter unsalted, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Pinch salt
- Preheat the oven 180C/375F.
- Break the dark chocolate into smaller chunks and melt it in a double boiler, small saucepan, or in the microwave (more info below in the notes). Stir frequently until the chocolate is fully melted.100 gr dark chocolate
- In a large bowl, combine the softened butter and sugar. Mix in the melted dark chocolate.1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 100 gr dark chocolate
- Add the yogurt, vanilla, and eggs. Combine everything thoroughly.1/2 cup Greek yogurt, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 eggs
- Add flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt to the wet ingredients. Gently fold the dry ingredients into the wet mixture. Pour in the milk slowly. Don't overmix the dough or the muffins will be tough.1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 3/4 cup milk, Pinch salt, 1/2 cup Dutch cocoa powder
- Fold in the milk chocolate chips and distribute the dough evenly into 12 muffin paper cups. Add them to the muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes. Let them cool and enjoy!1 cup milk chocolate chips
What makes these muffins moist?
How long do the muffins keep?
Can I freeze chocolate muffins?
For freshly-baked muffins, freeze the dough in paper or single silicon muffin cups and bake them individually for 20 minutes instead of 15.