This quick chocolate fudge cake, aka Schokokuchen in German, takes less than 1 hour to make. You only need one bowl and 10 minutes of hands-on prep time to be rewarded with a super fudgy yet oil-free chocolate mud cake in no time. Perfect for afternoon tea or dessert.
Why you’ll love this moist chocolate cake recipe
- Super quick: According to my impatient family, this is the best chocolate cake recipe because it’s ready in under 1 hour, 50 minutes flat to be precise.
- Easy chocolate cake recipe even your kids can make.
- Simple ingredients: Made with staple ingredients in one bowl only, clean-up will be a breeze.
- Moist cake thanks to Greek yogurt – no vegetable oil such as canola oil needed.
- Greek yogurt – Full-fat, plain Greek yogurt gives this cake some fudge without weighing it down. You can also use sour cream.
- Cocoa powder – I use Dutch-processed cocoa powder for a rich chocolate flavor but you can also use regular cocoa or raw cacao powder.
- Chocolate chips – Semi-sweet chocolate chips or drops, or simply a finely cut chocolate bar add extra chocolate flavor and a fudgy bottom to this cake. You can substitute it with milk chocolate for a sweeter taste.
- Butter – Softened unsalted butter adds richness and moisture to this cake making it extra fudgy.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar works well for this easy recipe but you can also use castor sugar.
- Eggs – By using room temperature eggs, the cake benefits from enhanced structure, increased moisture, and improved leavening properties, which contribute to its rise.
- Flour – All-purpose flour works well for this recipe. You can also substitute it with barley or spelt flour.
- Baking powder – This is the key leavening agent for this cake and gives it a fluffy texture.
- Salt – Omit the salt if you’re using salted butter
You can easily customize this classic chocolate cake to suit your taste. Here are a few ideas:
Go nuts: Walnuts, hazelnuts, peanuts, pecans, and almonds work well with chocolate. Add 1/2 cup of chopped nuts or nut butter such as peanut butter to the batter to add texture and crunch to the cake.
Mocha: Add 1-2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules to the cake batter for a rich mocha flavor.
Add fruit: Cherries and raspberries work particularly well in a rich chocolate cake. Simply add 1 cup of fresh fruit to the batter. Orange and chocolate are another delicious flavor combination. Add the zest of one orange to the cake batter.
Chocolate loaf or bundt cake: Simply use a loaf or bundt cake tin instead of a round cake tin to make it a chocolate loaf or bundt cake.
How to make this quick chocolate fudge cake
- Add softened butter and sugar to a bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and Greek yogurt.
- Add the dry ingredients and combine to a smooth batter.
- Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking tin.
- Use room temperature ingredients: Using eggs and butter stored at room temperature will help the batter mix more easily and create a more even texture.
- Don’t overmix the batter: Overmixing the batter can result in a tough, dense cake. Mix the ingredients just until they are combined to ensure a tender, moist crumb.
Chocolate fudge birthday cake
If you’re looking to make a no-frills, fudgy chocolate birthday cake, this is it! You can easily cut the cake in half and ice the cake layers with chocolate buttercream frosting or mascarpone icing. This easy moist chocolate cake is also perfect for other special celebrations including friendsgiving, Valentine’s Day, and anniversaries.
I simply add a light dusting of powdered sugar to this delicious cake and serve it while it slightly warm but you can also top the cake with a homemade chocolate frosting or simple chocolate ganache once it has fully cooled. Here are some other serving suggestions:
- Vanilla Greek yogurt
- Stracciatella ice cream
- Mascarpone whipped cream
- Whipped cream or brown sugar whipped cream
- Fruit sauce or compote (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, or cherries)
- Caramel, biscoff, or chocolate sauce
This moist chocolate cake can typically last in an airtight container or plastic wrap 2-3 days at room temperature, 5-7 days in the refrigerator.
Yes, you can store slices or the entire cake in the freezer for up to 3 months.
If you loved this Quick Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating below. Thank you!
Quick Chocolate Fudge Cake (Under 1 Hour)
- 1/2 cup butter softened, unsalted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour sifted
- 2 tsp baking powder sifted
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder sifted
- 1 pinch salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C) and grease a 9-inch round cake pan with butter or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup butter and 1 cup sugar until creamy. Add 3 eggs and fully combine them into the mixture while mixing. Slowly add 1 cup Greek yogurt and combine everything until smooth.1/2 cup butter, 1 cup sugar, 3 eggs, 1 cup Greek yogurt
- Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 pinch salt and 1/2 cup cocoa powder to the wet mixture. Mix everything until just combined. Do not overmix. Slowly fold in 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips with a large spoon and transfer the batter into the greased cake pan. Smooth the top with a spatula or the back of a large spoon.1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, 1 pinch salt, 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Bake the chocolate cake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely.