Indulge in easy-to-make, giant chocolate stuffed cookies with a decadent, gooey center. Choose your preferred chocolate filling and enjoy this indulgent dessert. It’s a thick and soft chocolate chip cookie that satisfies any sweet craving. It is filled to the max with a melted chocolate!
Why you’ll love this recipe
- The dough can be meal-prepped
- Giant cookies offer pure indulgence
- Chocolate stuffing adds surprise and decadence
- Butter – Softened lightly salted butter works best for this recipe. If you add unsalted butter, simply add a pinch of salt to the dough.
- Sugar – Brown sugar and granulated white sugar add sweetness to the cookies.
- Egg – The egg provides binding, structure, moisture, leavening, and contributes to the texture and richness of these huge cookies.
- Vanilla – Vanilla essence, extract or pure vanilla beans offer a depth of flavor.
- Flour – All-purpose flour works best for this recipe but you can also use white spelt flour.
- Leavening agents – Baking powder and soda help the cookies rise and give them a soft and chewy texture.
- Chocolate – Semi-sweet chocolate chips and two pieces of dark chocolate (70%+) are needed for this recipe. You can use milk chocolate if you prefer a sweeter and less bitter flavor.
How to make giant chocolate stuffed cookies
- Cream the butter and sugars.
- Add remaining wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients until you have a smooth dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Portion out 150g dough balls and stuff them with 2 pieces of dark chocolate. Create round dough balls.
- Chill the dough for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven and baked them 350F (180C) for about 15 minutes until the edges start to turn golden.
- Let the extra large cookies cool down on the baking tray for at least 15 minutes. Serve while warm.
- Don’t overbeat the mixture: When combining the ingredients, mix until just combined. Overmixing can lead to tougher cookies, so it’s best to stop mixing as soon as the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Let them cool after baking: Allow these extra big cookies to cool on the baking sheet for at least 15 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack. This helps the cookies firm up and set, resulting in the desired texture.
- Reheat lightly for a gooey center: If you prefer a gooey center in your cookies, you can reheat them lightly in a microwave or oven. This will warm the cookies and melt the chocolate slightly, giving you a deliciously gooey center. Be cautious not to overheat them to avoid drying them out.
The following stuffed cookie variations offer a delightful variety of flavors and textures:
- Giant Nutella stuffed cookies: Place a small spoonful of Nutella in the center, and seal the dough around it.
- Giant peanut butter stuffed cookies: Add a small dollop of crunchy or smooth peanut butter in the center of the cookies.
- Giant s’mores stuffed cookies: Add a marshmallow to the center of the cookies and wrap it up with the dough.
- Giant Oreo stuffed cookies: Press an Oreo cookie into the center of the dough and bake as directed.
Sign-up for my newsletter for more from-scratch recipes.
The shelf life of filled cookies varies depending on the filling and storage conditions. Generally, they can last for 3 to 5 days at room temperature in an airtight container.
Yes, filled cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months by allowing them to cool and transfer to an airtight container. Thaw the cookies at room temperature or warm them in the oven before enjoying them.
Giant Chocolate Stuffed Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1.8 ounces dark chocolate
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.1/2 cup butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1 egg to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well until fully incorporated.1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 egg
- Gradually add 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/2 tsp baking soda to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Gently fold in 3.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips until evenly distributed throughout the dough.3.5 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Take a 150g dough ball and flatten it in your hand. Place two pieces of the 1.8 ounces dark chocolate in the center and fold the dough around it, sealing it completely and shaping it into a round ball. Repeat this process for the remaining dough and chocolate pieces.1.8 ounces dark chocolate
- Place the stuffed dough balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving enough space between the giant cookies to allow for spreading during baking. Refrigerate the dough balls for 2 hours. Chilling the dough helps the cookies maintain their shape during baking.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake the chilled cookies in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the cookies to cool for at least 15 minutes on the sheet before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy these giant chocolate stuffed cookies warm with a gooey chocolate center. Store any leftover cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days and preheat them lightly for the center to melt again. Enjoy!