Say cheeeese! This delicious broccoli cheese soup with noodles is one of my go-to mid-week, vegetarian meals that you can easily adjust depending on what’s hiding in your veggie draw. Packed with fresh vegetables and rice noodles it’s one of my family’s favorite soups during the colder months and I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as we do!
Why you’ll love this easy, cheesy broccoli soup
A hug in a bowl: This creamy broccoli cheese noodle soup is comfort food at its best.
Versatile recipe: You can easily tweak the ingredients of this cheesy soup recipe which makes it a versatile dinner or lunch option.
Quick and easy: With simple ingredients and straightforward steps, this creamy soup is perfect for a quick and hearty meal.
Perfect for sharing: This recipe can feed a lot of people when scaled, making it ideal for family gatherings or meal prep for the week.
- Broccoli: You’ll need 1 medium-sized fresh broccoli, chopped into small florets. Cut up the broccoli stalk into smaller pieces and add it them as well if you like.
- Cheese: Shredded sharp cheddar works best but you can use a milder cheese such as Edam or Monterey Jack. I don’t recommend using American cheese such as Velveeta cheese.
- Noodles: I use vermicelli rice noodles but you can use any type of quick-cooking pasta you have on hand including fine egg noodles or elbow macaroni.
- Carrots: Peeled and finely sliced carrots add extra nutrients and a little bit of color to this vegetable soup.
- Corn: You can use fresh or frozen corn.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter works well. Taste the soup before seasoning it later on with salt.
- Flour: All-purpose flour or plain flour creates the roux.
- Stock: I use vegetable broth but you can also opt for x cups of chicken broth or chicken stock for a heartier taste or high-quality bouillon cubes for convenience.
- Onion and garlic: One finely chopped white or brown onion works well (medium-sized). I don’t recommend using a red onion as it will affect the color of the soup. Fresh garlic adds depth of flavor but you can substitute it with 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder if needed.
- Milk and cream: Whole milk and half-and-half cream give you the best results in terms of creaminess, but you can also opt for lighter versions of each.
- Seasoning: Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Garnish: Grated cheddar cheese and freshly ground pepper.
- Optional: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes for a spicy kick. A dollop of sour cream gives the soup extra creaminess.
How to make broccoli cheese soup with noodles
- Sauté the onions and garlic in butter.
- Add flour to create a roux. Add vegetable broth.
- Add vegetables.
- Stir to combine.
- Bring everything to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles.
- Add milk and cream.
- Add grated cheddar cheese.
- Small pieces: Chop the broccoli and carrots into small pieces to be able to enjoy their flavors in one spoonful.
- Cheese matters: Opt for high-quality sharp cheddar cheese to achieve a rich and cheesy flavor profile.
- Adjust consistency: Add more stock if the soup gets too thick or when reheating it later on.
Serve this broccoli cheddar pasta soup in a small bowl alongside good crusty bread, crusty roll, or softer Turkish bread for a complete meal.
Yes, this broccoli soup freezes well. Store it in an airtight container for up to three months.
Yes, you can. Sauté the onions and garlic, and make the roux. Then add all ingredients to the slow cooker on low for 6 hours, except for the milk, cream, and cheese. Add those ingredients an hour before serving.
I wouldn’t recommend that.
Broccoli Cheese Soup With Noodles
- 2 tbsp butter salted or unsalted
- 1 yellow onion medium-sized, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups vegetable stock or chicken broth
- 1 broccoli medium-sized, cut into small florets
- 2 carrots peeled, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup rice noodles or egg noodles
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded, as garnish
- salt and black pepper
- In a large saucepan or large pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add finely chopped onions and minced garlic and cook until translucent.2 tbsp butter, 1 yellow onion, 1 garlic clove
- Sprinkle flour over the onions, garlic, and butter, stirring constantly for about 1 minute to create a roux.1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Gradually pour in the vegetable broth, stirring continuously to avoid lumps.3 cups vegetable stock
- Add chopped broccoli, carrots, and frozen corn.1 broccoli, 2 carrots, 1/2 cup frozen corn
- Bring everything to a boil and simmer on low heat for 5 minutes until vegetables are tender and the noodles are cooked. Add the rice noodles.1 cup rice noodles
- Pour in the milk and heavy cream into the vegetable noodle mixture.1 cup whole milk, 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Add shredded cheddar cheese, stirring on low heat until it's melted to create a creamy sauce.1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.salt and black pepper
- To garnish, add extra shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and freshly ground pepper. Serve with slices of crusty bread.1/2 cup cheddar cheese