This quick and easy whey bread recipe uses leftover liquid whey instead of water. The protein-packed, soft sandwich loaf requires no kneading and is ready in 2 1/2 hours. Bread maker instructions included.
Since I started making Greek yogurt at home, I’ve been looking for recipes that use leftover whey. Baking whey enhances the texture and flavor of many baked goods, including breads, rolls, pancakes, and cakes.
I started making my favorite sandwich bread recipe with whey simply by replacing the water portion with liquid whey. It not only gives whey bread a protein boost, but it also creates a soft, pillowy texture and fine, even crumb. The dough needs no kneading which allows you to whip up a whey loaf in 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Quick and easy – whey to go!
- Whey – I use leftover liquid whey from yogurt making for this recipe.
- Yeast – Active, dry yeast works well. You can also substitute it with fresh yeast.
- Sugar – I use granulated sugar but honey or maple syrup work well too.
- Flour – A combination of all-purpose and whole wheat flour gives the bread a wholesome flavor and increases its nutritional value.
- Salt – Salt is an important flavoring in bread. Do not reduce the amount.
- Sunflower oil – I use extra virgin sunflower oil but you can substitute it with other vegetable oils.
- Pumpkin seeds (optional) – I add some pumpkin seeds on top of the bread before baking. You can omit those or simply replace them with seeds you prefer.
- Butter – I use butter to grease the loaf pan but vegetable oil is suitable as well.
Tips for the perfect whey bread
- Make sure the whey is lukewarm, not hot or cold, so it can easily be activated with the yeast and sugar. It should be between 100 and 110 F (36.5 to 40.5 C).
- The dough will be quite wet. Don’t add any additional flour or the bread will end up dry.
- Grease the bread pan thoroughly with oil or butter to prevent the loaf from sticking to the pan.
- If the bread is getting too dark during baking, cover the loaf with baking paper.
- Although it will be hard to resist, don’t slice the bread while it’s still hot.
This soft sandwich bread is perfect for lunch boxes. Simply enjoy generous slices fresh or toasted with your favorite sweet or savory topping.
Yes, you can. To make this whey bread in a bread maker, simply activate the yeast with lukewarm whey and sugar for about 5 minutes first. Add all ingredients including the activated yeast to the bowl and place it in the bread maker. Choose a quick program that does not include too much kneading. Program 5 and loaf size XL on my Panasonic Automatic Bread Maker SD-2501 works well for a rapid 3-hour loaf.
You can store it in a bread bin for 2-3 days at room temperature. Alternatively, you can slice and freeze it for up to 3 months which allows you to defrost individual slices in a toaster.
Acid whey which is also known as sour whey is a byproduct of acid types of dairy products including cottage cheese and strained yogurt. Adding acid whey to your bread will increase the protein levels of your loaf, and create a finer crumb and golden crust.
Soft Whey Bread (no-knead)
- 2 cups whey liquid, lukewarm
- 1 1/2 tsp yeast active, dry
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds optional
Grease loaf tin
- 1 tbsp butter
Activate the yeast
- Heat up the liquid whey on the stove or in the microwave until it's lukewarm.2 cups whey
- Add the yeast and sugar and stir thoroughly until the yeast is starting to dissolve. Set aside for 10 minutes.1 1/2 tsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar
Prepare bread dough
- In a large bowl, combine whole wheat and all-purpose flour, and salt.3 cups whole wheat flour, 2 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Add the activated yeast, olive oil, and stir until all ingredients are fully combined and a wet dough is formed.3 tbsp sunflower oil
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and let it rest in a warm spot for 1 hour. The dough will rise by about 1/3 during this time.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/375F.
- Grease a bread loaf tin with butter and transfer the dough into the tin. Let it rise for another 30 minutes.1 tbsp butter
- Add the pumpkin seeds on top of the loaf and bake it in the oven for 40 minutes.1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Remove the bread from the loaf tin after about 10 minutes and let it fully cool on a wire rack before slicing. Enjoy!