This creamy asparagus potato soup makes a comforting meal on a rainy spring day or a delicious appetizer. Packed with fresh flavors, this easy spring vegetable soup offers a delicious blend of in-season asparagus, new potatoes, and fresh cream.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Spring flavors: A creamy soup packed with fresh spring flavors. Perfect for asparagus season.
- Versatile dish: A delicious asparagus soup that can be served as a comforting main course or a warming starter.
- Quick and easy: This simple soup can be made in 30 minutes, making it a great choice for a last-minute lunch or dinner.
- Asparagus – Green asparagus, tough ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Potatoes – Yukon gold potatoes work well but you can use red potatoes or any waxy potato variety instead if needed.
- Onion – You’ll need 1 medium-sized yellow onion.
- Stock – This recipe uses chicken broth but you can opt for vegetable broth to make a vegetarian soup.
- Cream – Heavy cream creates the creamy texture of this soup. You can use full-fat milk for a lighter option.
- Olive oil – Extra virgin olive oil helps sweat the onion and garlic.
- Seasoning – Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper round out the flavors.
- Pine nuts (optional) – Toasted pine nuts for garnish are optional but add a delicious texture and flavor. You can use shaved almonds as well for an extra crunch.
- Parsley (optional) – Garnish the soup with some freshly chopped parsley.
- Sour cream (optional) – Regular or light sour cream is great for serving. Crème fraîche works well too.
Say cheese: Stir in shredded cheddar or Parmesan cheese for added richness. Check out my broccoli cheese soup with noodles for more cheesy goodness.
Spice it up: Add a pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes to add some heat.
Vegan: Replace chicken broth with vegetable stock, and heavy cream with coconut milk or almond milk.
How to make asparagus potato soup
Stovetop method with immersion blender:
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onion in olive oil over medium heat until translucent.
- Add asparagus pieces and diced potatoes, cooking for a few minutes. Remove some asparagus tips to use later as a garnish.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and season to taste.
- Garnish with toasted pine nuts and serve with a dollop of sour cream.
Instant Pot method (pressure cooker):
- Sauté onions in olive oil using the sauté function. Add asparagus and potato pieces, and cook them briefly.
- Pour in chicken broth, seal the Instant Pot, and set it to manual high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Perform a quick release, blend the soup with an immersion blender, and stir in heavy cream.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish, and serve with sour cream.
- Fresh vegetables: Opt for fresh asparagus and new potatoes to enhance the soup’s flavor and texture.
- Adjust creaminess: Adjust the amount of heavy cream to achieve the desired creamy consistency.
- Don’t overcook: Be cautious not to overcook the asparagus; retaining a bright green color and fresh taste.
Serve the spring soup with a slice of crusty bread or homemade Turkish bread. You can top it with finely chopped herbs like fresh dill or parsley for an extra burst of flavor and color.
Fresh lemon zest, grated parmesan, or crispy bacon bites are some other tasty topping ideas.
Refrigerate any leftovers in an airtight container and consume within 2-3 days for optimal freshness.
Yes, store in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to three months. Thaw and reheat gently on the stove.
Yes, you can. Allow the soup to cool slightly before blending in batches in a regular blender. Remove the center cap of the blender lid or leave it slightly ajar to allow steam to escape during blending. You can use a food processor as well.
Creamy Asparagus Potato Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 yellow onion medium-sized, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 pound asparagus 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Yukon potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic clove in olive oil over medium heat until translucent.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 yellow onion, 1 garlic clove
- Trim the tough ends off the stalks and cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Add asparagus pieces and diced potatoes, cooking for a few minutes. Remove some asparagus spears to use later as a garnish.1 pound asparagus, 1 pound Yukon potatoes
- Pour in chicken broth and bring everything to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer everything for 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.4 cups chicken broth
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until the soup has a smooth texture. Stir in heavy cream and season the soup with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Serve in small bowls or soup plates and garnish the creamy soup with toasted pine nuts, freshly ground pepper, and a dollop of sour cream. Add finely chopped parsley and fresh lemon zest for some extra color and flavor.1/4 cup pine nuts, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1 tbsp fresh parsley, 1 tsp lemon zest