No ice cream maker, no problem! This no-churn chocolate cherry ice cream is made with condensed milk, creating a creamy and soft homemade ice cream. All you need are 5 minutes of hands-on prep time and 5 staple ingredients. If you love black forest flavors of rich chocolate with tart black cherries then this quick and easy recipe is for you.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- No ice cream maker needed
- Quick – only 5 minutes of hands-on prep time
- Versatile – adjust to your taste
- Egg-free ice cream recipe
- Condensed milk – Sweetened condensed milk gives this no-churn ice cream its sweetness and creamy flavor.
- Milk – Full-fat milk works best. Lower-fat milk options create a firmer texture. You can use whipped cream instead of milk for a richer texture and flavor.
- Cocoa – Rich Dutch-processed cocoa or raw cacao powder gives this cherry chip ice cream its rich chocolate flavor and dark color.
- Cherries – I use canned black Morello sour cherries as their tart flavor pairs well with rich chocolate. You can also use fresh or frozen cherries.
- Chocolate – I use dark chocolate chips but you can also opt for milk chocolate to create a sweeter version. Add chocolate chunks for a richer taste and flakes or shards if you prefer less chocolate.
How to make cherry chocolate chip ice cream
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, milk, and cocoa powder in a bowl. Whisk until slightly thickened.
- Wash and dry cherries. If using tinned cherries, drain off the syrup. Fold in cherries and dark chocolate chips gently.
- Transfer the mixture to a freezer-proof container. Top with cherries and dark chocolate chips. Cover and freeze until set, about 6 hours.
- Sifting the cocoa powder ensures there are no lumps, creating a smoother ice cream base.
- If using tinned cherries, thoroughly drain the syrup to prevent excess liquid in the mixture.
- Gently fold the cherries and chocolate chips into the base to avoid them from breaking.
Chocolate swirl: Swirl in chocolate sauce or hot fudge during the folding process for an extra chocolatey boost.
Cherry swirl: Swirl in cherry pie filling or homemade cherry sauce for that classic Black Forest cake flavor.
Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia Copycat: Swap the cocoa with 2 tsp of vanilla extract to create a simpler chocolate cherry ice cream that’s very similar to the popular Cherry Garcia flavor from Ben & Jerry’s.
Black forest ice cream cake: Line a loaf tin with clingfilm and add a layer of baked brownies (my cherry brownies are perfect) followed by half of the the chocolate cherry ice cream mixture. Repeat both layers and smooth the surface. Cover with foil then freeze for 6 hours or overnight. Serve immediately.
Condensed milk ice cream can be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 2-3 weeks.
Yes, you can but due to its reduced fat content, it’ll have a slightly thinner and icier texture.
Condensed Milk Chocolate Cherry Ice Cream
- 2 cans sweetened condensed milk 14 oz / 395g each
- 1 cup milk chilled
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder Dutch-processed
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup cherries fresh, frozen, or tinned (drained)
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup cherries
- In a large bowl, add 2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup milk, and 1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted). Whisk thoroughly with an electric handheld or stand mixer for 30 seconds – 1 minute until the mixture starts to thicken.2 cans sweetened condensed milk, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- Wash and thoroughly dry the fresh 1 cup cherries. If you are using tinned cherries, fully drain off the syrup. Chop them up slightly as whole frozen cherries can be hard to eat in the final ice cream.1 cup cherries
- Slowly fold cherries and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips into the base with a large spoon.1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Transfer the ice cream mixture into a freezer-proof container or clingfilm-lined loaf pan and decorate the top with 1/4 cup cherries and 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips. Cover the container with a lid or plastic wrap and freeze it for 6 hours or until fully set.2 tbsp dark chocolate chips, 1/4 cup cherries
- Scoop the condensed milk ice cream into bowls or cones and enjoy immediately.