Italian meatball wraps make an incredibly quick and easy lunch or dinner. You can put them together with leftover or meal-prepped meatballs in less than 10 minutes. All you need is tortillas, salad, a yummy sauce, and meatballs of course. No need to spend your hard-earned money at Subway or Prêt!
Why you’ll love this easy meatball wrap recipe
- Make a copycat Prêt or Subway meatball wrap at home
- Dinner or lunch ready in 10 minutes flat
- Change up the ingredients to suit your taste
- Perfect for leftovers
- Meatballs – Pan-fried, grilled, or oven-baked meatballs made with ground beef work well for this easy meal. I use my easy beef meatball recipe but lamb, pork, or vegan meatballs are great options too. Meatballs made from ground chicken or ground turkey are protein-rich alternatives. Add them hot or cold to the wraps – just keep in mind that the wrap won’t last as long if you are adding hot meatballs as the lettuce will wilt.
- Wraps / tortillas – I suggest using soft flour tortilla wraps but wholemeal wraps work well too. You can choose gluten free tortillas as well.
- Salad / lettuce – Iceberg lettuce adds a crunchy texture to this dish. Any type of lettuce or even baby spinach are great alternatives.
- Extra flavor / sauerkraut – I use red cabbage sauerkraut and red onions to add some extra flavor. Red or green bell peppers, tomatoes, or cucumbers can also add some extra flavor and texture.
- Sauce – A flavorsome sauce such as aioli or Dijonnaise complete this easy dish. You can also choose plain yogurt, sour cream, tzatziki sauce, salsa, or even spicy siracha can take these wraps from average to amazing.
- To wrap the tortillas up, simply roll them up, or fold them like a fan like meatball-filled burritos by folding the bottom first followed by the two sides.
- Add lunch wrap or tinfoil around the base to keep everything nicely in place.
- Add additional sauce if your wraps are too dry.
Enjoy meatball wraps with a summery salad such as an insalata mista, your favorite greens, or simply on their own. They’re perfect for picnics, lunchboxes and make an excellent quick lunch or dinner.
Meatball subs: Baguette, Turkish pide flatbread or pita bread are perfect for meatball subs.
Lettuce wraps: Ditch the wrap and make meatball lettuce wraps as a carb-free, keto-friendly meal.
Melty meatball wraps: Add grated or sliced cheese to your meatballs and pop them under the grill for q few minutes to make melty meatball wraps.
Saucy wraps: You can also add meatballs cooked in a classic marinara or tomato sauce. Add a BBQ flavor by drizzling your favorite BBQ sauce over the meatballs.
I suggest meal-prepping all ingredients, especially the meatballs, but make the wraps fresh. They will last in an airtight container for some hours but they taste best fresh.
No. Store-bought wraps are typically pre-cooked and there is no need to heat them.
Easy Italian Meatball Wraps
- Wash the lettuce leaves and wrap them in a clean kitchen towel to dry.4 large lettuce leaves
- Warm up the meatballs in the oven or microwave on medium heat until they're fully heated through.
- To assemble the wraps, start with a large tortilla wrap and add a lettuce leaf. Place meatballs onto the lettuce and add the sauerkraut and finely sliced onion on top of the meatballs. Drizzle with aioli and fold them up. Hold the wrap in place with a sleeve of parchment paper. Enjoy!16 beef meatballs, 4 tortilla wraps, 4 tbsp red cabbage sauerkraut, 2 tsp aioli, 1/2 red onion