Chantilly mascarpone is also known as mascarpone whipped cream. To make a batch of mascarpone chantilly you simply combine mascarpone cheese with heavy cream, and sugar. It’s a delicious and versatile rich crème that can be served on its own or used in a variety of desserts. This recipe features a combination of mascarpone cheese, chantilly / heavy cream, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and cinnamon for a rich taste and color. The result is a decadent and buttercream-like whipped cream that is perfect as a topping, frosting, or filling for cakes, cupcakes, pies, and more.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Quick and easy – it only takes 5 minutes
- Flavor it to your taste
- Can be prepared in advance
- Stable mascarpone frosting (perfect for piping)
Chantilly mascarpone makes a delicious, creamy mascarpone dip, or dipping sauce that you can make with just a few simple ingredients:
Mascarpone cheese is the star ingredient in this recipe. It is a soft, creamy cheese that is similar in texture to cream cheese but has a milder, sweeter flavor and high-fat content. Mascarpone is typically sold in small tubs or pouches and can be found in the dairy section of most grocery stores.
Chantilly / Heavy Cream
Heavy cream, also known as whipping cream, is called chantilly in French. It is used to give the mascarpone whipped cream its light and fluffy texture. When choosing heavy cream, look for a brand that has a high-fat content (usually around 35%).
I add 3 tablespoons of maple syrup to the mascarpone whipped cream to give it a rich sweetness and amber color. You can easily substitute it with icing or powdered sugar if you’re after a traditional version of this popular mascarpone topping. The amount of sugar you use will depend on your personal preference, but I suggest around 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
Vanilla is used to add flavor to the mascarpone whipped cream. You can use either a vanilla pod, pure vanilla extract, or vanilla essence, depending on your preference. My recipe calls for around 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Ground cinnamon or cinnamon quill extract add depth and extra flavor to this recipe. You can easily omit it but I love how it adds extra warmth and color to the mascarpone whipped cream.
You can make mascarpone whipped cream in two easy steps:
Step 1: Combine all ingredients
Using an electric mixer, beat the mascarpone cheese and heavy cream on low for 2 minutes. Slowly add in the vanilla, maple syrup, and cinnamon.
Step 2: Whip the mixture until it forms stiff peaks
Whip the mixture on high speed for another 1-2 minutes until it forms stiff peaks. Be careful not to overbeat, as this can cause the mixture to become grainy.
- Cold ingredients: Make sure the mascarpone cheese and heavy cream are cold before whipping. This will help the cream hold its shape and prevent it from melting or losing its texture.
- Extra power: It is possible to whip chantilly mascarpone by hand but using an electric mixer will save time and effort. Use a handheld or stand mixer with a whisk or whip attachment to ensure that the cream is whipped to the right consistency without overmixing or undermixing.
- Switch it up: Maple syrup, pure vanilla extract, and cinnamon give this chantilly mascarpone a caramel-like color and rich taste but you easily substitute the maple syrup with icing sugar and omit the cinnamon to create a classic whipped mascarpone cream. Substitute the vanilla for citrus zest for a fresh take on this topping and add food coloring to create vibrant desserts.
You can store whipped chantilly mascarpone in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you are ready to use it again, give it a quick whisk to bring it back to its original texture.
No, you can’t. It will lose its texture and flavor.
Chantilly mascarpone is a versatile and delicious topping, filling, side, or dip that can be used in a variety of ways.
Topping for desserts
Filling or frosting for cakes, desserts, and pastries
- Layer cakes
- No-bake desserts such as tiramisu or trifle
- Choux pastry including profiteroles / cream puffs
- Cream donuts
Dip or side
Chantilly Mascarpone Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, add 1 cup heavy cream and 1 cup mascarpone. Mix the two together on low speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.1 cup heavy cream, 1 cup mascarpone
- Keep mixing on low and slowly add in 3 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, and 1 tsp ground cinnamon for another minute.3 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Increase the speed to high and mix it for another 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks are forming. Be careful to not overmix it or the crème will be grainy.
- Serve chantilly mascarpone crème with your favorite seasonal fruit, as a topping or filling for cakes, desserts, and choux pastry.