Cozy up to the flavor of fall and winter with homemade cinnamon quill extract. It’s quick, easy, and intensifies the Ceylon cinnamon flavor in your favorite spiced recipes, making it a perfect edible gift for the holidays. Bottle the warmth and comfort of your favorite spice without the texture of ground cinnamon by infusing vodka with cinnamon quills or sticks, creating an intense liquid cinnamon extract that captures the essence of the festive season!
What is cinnamon extract?
The comforting flavor of cinnamon spice brings depth and excitement to sweet and savory dishes alike.
Cinnamon extract is a flavor extract made by steeping Ceylon cinnamon quills in alcohol. It has a strong and concentrated cinnamon flavor and aroma.
Thanks to the rich flavor of the cinnamon quills, the finished extract has a welcoming warming, yet spicy taste. It is the perfect addition to your Christmas treats and autumnal dishes.
What are cinnamon quills?
Cinnamon quills or sticks are obtained from the inner bark of Cinnamomum trees and are often used whole or ground to add a warm and sweet flavor to both sweet and savory recipes.
Types of cinnamon
There are different types of cinnamon, with the two most common being Ceylon cinnamon (Cinnamomum verum) and Cassia cinnamon (Cinnamomum cassia). Ceylon cinnamon is considered “true” cinnamon and is often preferred for its mild, sweet flavor. Cassia cinnamon is more widely available and has a stronger, slightly spicy taste.
How to make cinnamon quill extract
Follow these easy steps to make cinnamon essence at home:
- Ingredients: Gather a sterilized lidded mason jar, about 5 whole Ceylon cinnamon quills, and high-quality unflavored vodka.
- Combine: Add the cinnamon quills to the sterilized jar and then add the alcohol. Be sure that the quills are fully submerged and then cover the jar tightly with the lid.
- Infuse: Place the jar in a cool dark spot in your pantry and allow it to age for a minimum of 2 weeks and up to 6 weeks. When it has steeped fully it will smell pleasantly of cinnamon spice.
- Strain: Pour the aged extract through a fine metal mesh strainer to remove any bites of cinnamon stick.
- Store: Keep the extract in the lidded jar in a cool spot for up to 4 years. Use it as needed in recipes to bring a generous cinnamon flavor to anything you can dream of!
- Sterilize: Make sure the lid and jar are fully sterilized.
- Store in a cool and dark place: Light and heat can alter the flavor, color, and shelf life of the extract. Store it inside a cupboard in a cool place away from any heat sources.
- Use in moderation: As with any extract, remember that cinnamon extract has a strong concentrated flavor so whenever you use it, start small and add more as needed.
How to use cinnamon extract
Homemade cinnamon flavoring is used in baked goods, beverages, and even in cooking when a robust cinnamon flavor is needed without the texture of ground cinnamon. Try adding a small amount of extract to the following cinnamon-spiced favorites:
No, cinnamon extract is not consumed in quantities that would lead to intoxication or drunkenness as you’d typically use about 1 tsp per cake or batch of muffins. However, it’s essential to exercise caution and moderation when using extracts, especially if you are preparing food for individuals who are sensitive to alcohol.
Cinnamon extract is highly concentrated; thus, a mere ¼ teaspoon or even less depending on the extract’s concentration can substitute for each teaspoon of ground cinnamon.
Homemade Cinnamon Quill Extract
- 5 cinnamon quills
- 1 cup vodka unflavored, clear
- To sterilize the lidded glass jars with boiling water, immerse it in a pot of boiling water, ensuring it is fully submerged, and boil for at least 10 minutes.
- Place 5 cinnamon quills in the sterilized jar and fill it up with 1 cup vodka or until the jar is fully filled.5 cinnamon quills, 1 cup vodka
- Screw the lid tightly on and store the jar in a cool and dark place for a minimum of two weeks. Shake it lightly occasionally for the flavors to fully mingle.
- After the steeping period remove the cinnamon quills. Pour the aged extract through a fine metal mesh strainer to remove any bites of cinnamon stick which will leave you with a clear cinnamon extract.
- Label the jar with the date and type of extract to keep track of its freshness. Continue storing the extract in a cool and dark place.