If you love custard and eggnog but don’t want to make a full-on dessert, this quick and easy recipe for a creamy hot egg milk drink is perfect for you. Unlike Swedish Äggmjölk which is a mixture of egg and butter, this easy egg milk is made with whole milk, egg yolk, and warming flavors. The result is a custard-like sweetened drink, perfect as a caffeine-free breakfast beverage or a comforting and cozy slumber drink.
Why you’ll love this recipe
- Rich flavors: The combination of whole milk, vanilla extract, and ground cinnamon creates a deliciously rich and comforting drink.
- Creamy texture: The egg yolk makes the hot milk drink extra creamy and adds extra nutrients.
- Quick and easy: With simple ingredients and a few steps, you can whip up this single-serve dessert drink in no time.
Egg yolk: You’ll need 1 medium-sized free-range egg to give the milk drink its creamy texture and rich color.
Milk: I use whole milk for a rich taste but feel free to use your favorite dairy products or non-dairy alternatives like oat milk.
Honey: I use honey to sweeten the milk but you can also use sugar, maple syrup, or stevia.
Vanilla: Vanilla extract, whole vanilla beans, or paste work best. You can use vanilla essence if needed.
Cinnamon: Ground cinnamon adds a warm and rich flavor to the milk. You can also add nutmeg or cardamom, or a pumpkin spice blend.
Salt: A pinch of salt rounds out the flavors.
- Fresh raw eggs: When using raw eggs in recipes make sure that they’re free-range and super fresh.
- Continuous stirring: Keep the mixture moving with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon to avoid any mixture sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
Enjoy the creamy egg milk on its own for a comforting slumber drink. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or brown sugar cream as a delicious dessert.
Serve the caffeine-free egg milk alongside your favorite breakfast recipes such as a breakfast burrito, breakfast tacos, creamy scrambled eggs, or a delicious breakfast sandwich.
Egg yolk drink variations
- Chocolate: Add 1 tbsp of Dutch-processed cocoa or raw cacao powder to create a rich chocolate milk drink.
- Egg yolk latte: Add a shot of espresso to the mixture to create a rich egg yolk coffee, similar to Vietnamese coffee.
- Spiced egg milk: Add 1/2 tsp of pumpkin spice or Christmas spice to add extra warmth and festive flavors.
- Golden milk: Add 1/4 tsp of ground turmeric and 1/8 tsp ground ginger to the milk mix to make golden egg milk.
- Bullet milk: Add some cold butter or MCT oil to create a bullet drink.
Yes, as long as the egg is fresh and you consume the drink straight away.
No, I don’t recommending reheating a raw egg drink.
Creamy Hot Egg Milk Drink
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- In a small saucepan, mix together the whole milk, honey, vanilla extract, salt, and ground cinnamon.1 cup whole milk, 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, 1 tbsp honey, 1 pinch salt
- Warm the mixture over medium heat until all ingredients are fully combined.
- Add the egg yolk and stir constantly with a silicone spatula, whisk, or wooden spoon.1 egg yolk
- Continue to heat the mixture while stirring until hot but make sure it's not boiling.
- Pour the creamy egg milk into a heat-proof glass or mug. Garnish with some dusted cinnamon and serve while hot.