The best spice mix is simply the one you make yourself because you’ll be able to adjust the flavors to suit your taste. I have found the best Mediterranean seasoning for my taste buds and I’m sure yours will love this DIY spice mix as well. Whether you’re looking to add Mediterranean flavors to chicken, fish, lamb, or vegetables, this incredibly easy and versatile seasoning blend adds natural herbs and spices found in Italian, French, Spanish, and Greek cuisine. A must-try if you’re following the Mediterranean diet or if you simply want to infuse a Southern European twist to your favorite dishes.
7 reasons to start making spice mixes
- Freshness and quality: Take charge of the freshness and quality of your ingredients.
- Customization: Create blends that suit your taste and dietary preferences.
- No additives: Steer clear of artificial additives and preservatives. Substitute the store-bought Italian seasoning with natural herbs and spices only.
- Reduced sodium: Manage salt content for healthier choices.
- Cost-effective: Save money with bulk spices compared to store-bought blends.
- Sustainability: Minimize packaging waste by using reusable containers.
- Food gifts: Offer considerate and distinctive homemade gifts.
- Mediterranean herbs – Think wild thyme fields in Southern France or fragrant rosemary growing roadside in Tuscany. Dried oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, and thyme are popular Mediterranean and the base for this spice blend.
- Onion & garlic – Onion and garlic are integral flavors of Mediterranean cuisines and are the backbone of many popular dishes.
- Salt & pepper – Pink Himalayan sea salt and freshly ground black pepper round out the flavors. You can reduce the quantity of the salt for a low-sodium Mediterranean spice blend.
- Quality ingredients: Choose high-quality, ideally organic Mediterranean herbs and spices as the base for this spice blend.
- Suitable storage: Store your homemade spice mix in an airtight container to preserve their freshness and potency. Consider using glass jars or containers with tight-sealing lids to protect the flavors from moisture and air.
- Larger batch: Make a larger batch by doubling or tripling the recipe.
How to use Mediterranean seasoning
This homemade Mediterranean spice mix can be used for a variety of chicken, fish, lamb, beef, or vegetable dishes.
Ratio: Use 1 tbsp of Mediterranean seasoning for 1 pound of meat, fish, shelled seafood, or vegetables. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Substitute: You can substitute store-bought Mediterranean spice blends or Italian seasonings such as Mccormick or HelloFresh 1:1 with this homemade seasoning mix.
Dry rub: Simply coat your protein or veggies generously with the seasoning, allowing it to infuse for at least 15-20 minutes before cooking. Whether you’re grilling steak, roasting chicken, or sautéing vegetables, the balanced mix of herbs and spices will add a burst of flavor.
Marinade: Simply add some Mediterranean seasoning mix to extra virgin olive oil to create an easy and flavorsome marinade for grilled chicken or fish.
Popular Mediterranean dishes
Whether you’re following the Mediterranean diet or are reminiscing about your last Southern Europe cruise or travels, this DIY spice blend can be used to season the following easy Mediterranean dishes:
Ratatouille: A French Provençal vegetable stew featuring eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
Moussaka: A layered Greek casserole dish that typically consists of eggplant, minced meat (often lamb), and béchamel sauce.
Gazpacho: A refreshing cold soup made with tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers.
Shakshuka: Turkish poached eggs in a spicy tomato and bell pepper sauce.
Mediterranean seasoning typically includes a broad range of herbs and spices commonly found in the Mediterranean region, which encompasses countries like Greece, Spain, Italy, and France.
No, you don’t have to grind the herbs and spices as the ingredients are already cut to appropriate sizes offering varied textures and visual appeal to your dishes.
Best Mediterranean Seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine all herbs and spices.1 tbsp dried oregano, 2 tsp dried parsley, 2 tsp dried thyme, 1 tbsp dried basil, 1 tsp dried rosemary, 1 tsp onion powder, 2 tsp granulated garlic, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Thoroughly combine the spices and herbs with a spoon or small whisk.
- Transfer the spice blend into a sterilized, lidded jar and use as directed in your favorite Mediterranean recipes.