Whether you enjoy them for breakfast, brunch, or as a dessert, waffles are always a great idea. Golden and crispy on the outside and fluffy and tender throughout, they’re delicious on their own, yet the topping options are endless. This article features popular sweet and savory waffle topping ideas to take your waffle game up a notch.
If you’re not sure what to serve with waffles for dinner or brunch, this extensive overview of sweet and savory waffle toppings is perfect for you.
Whether you’re looking for Belgian, German, or Swedish waffle toppings, you’re sure to find an amazing addition to your sweet or savory waffles in the following list:
Sweet Waffle Toppings
- Icing / powdered sugar – A classic and simple waffle topping that shouldn’t be underestimated.
- Whipped cream – Another classic that adds extra indulgence to your waffles.
- Mascarpone chantilly – The ultimate cream-based topping.
- Ice cream – Vanilla, chocolate, or stracciatella are popular choices. Fruity ice creams such as boysenberry or strawberry also make great waffle toppings.
- Greek yogurt – Vanilla Greek yogurt works particularly well. Add some granola for extra texture.
- Fresh berries – Fresh fruit such as strawberries, blueberries, boysenberries, and raspberries are popular choices.
- Summer stonefruit – Think peaches, nectarines, or apricots.
- Cherries – Fresh or stewed, cherries make a great addition to waffles.
- Stewed apples and pears – Perfect for an autumnal version of this popular breakfast.
- Caramelized bananas – A delicious choice in combination with crispy bacon.
- Lemon cordial – It adds a zing and vitamin boost to your favorite dessert. This is my favorite recipe.
- Red fruit compote – Also known as Rote Grütze in German is a popular waffle topping, especially in combination with vanilla ice cream.
- Maple or golden syrup – Sticky but oh-so tasty. A classic combination that never disappoints.
- Lemon curd – A tangy addition to your waffles that also adds a velvety texture.
- PB jelly – Peanut butter and strawberry jam are a popular combination.
- Eggnog – A boozy, adult-only but delicious choice.
- Biscoff sauce – Yum. Pass over the jar!
- Nutella – A popular choice for kids. Hazelnut chocolate spread makes waffles extra indulgent.
- Honey – A natural sweetener that adds a distinct flavor.
- Marmalade – Think orange, grapefruit, lime, or lemon marmalade – or a combination of any of them.
- Cinnamon and sugar – A generous sprinkle of the two adds extra sweetness and warming flavors to your favorite dessert.
- Pineapple and coconut – Pineapple rings sprinkled with coconut threads or desiccated coconut add a tropical note.
- Chocolate – Chips, drops, or shavings. All forms of chocolate work well. Be sure to add them when your waffles are still warm.
- Almond butter and apple – A generous spread of smooth or crunchy almond butter, thinly sliced apple and a dusting of cinnamon are a healthy yet tasty choice.
- Pumpkin spice – A thin spread of pumpkin puree and a generous dusting of pumpkin spice make turn your waffles into the perfect Fall feast.
- Date puree and pistachios – A sweet and salty combination that you’ll either love or hate.
- Salted caramel – Sweet caramel sauce meets sea salt flakes. Delicious!
- Rainbow sprinkles – Perfect in combination with ice cream.
- Cookies and cream – Whipped cream meets your favorite crushed cookies.
- S’mores – Create a campfire-style treat by filling waffles with marshmallows and chocolate.
Savory Waffle Toppings
Make sure to use a waffle recipe low in sugar if you’re planning to top them with a savory option.
- Crispy rashers of bacon – Maple syrup, fried banana, and bacon is a popular combination.
- Fried egg and siracha – Add some spice to your waffles.
- Grated cheese – Perfect on warm waffles.
- Burrata and tomato – Nothing beats gooey burrata on thin tomato slices.
- Poached eggs – Runny egg yolk meets crispy waffle. Delicious!
- Mashed avocado or guacamole – Avo toast turns waffle.
- Caprese – Generous slices of mozzarella cheese and fresh tomatoes, topped with fresh basil, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar. Yum!
- Prosciutto – A drizzle of olive oil, prosciutto, and rocket leaves create a delicious savory option.
- Caramelized onion and blue cheese – A pungent combination that takes your waffles to a whole new level.
- Beetroot and feta – Beetroot slices, crumbled feta, olive oil, and some freshly ground black pepper.
- Cream cheese and smoked salmon – Simply add fresh chives and you’re in waffle heaven!
- Ham and cheese toasty – Top your waffle with a generous slice of fresh ham, grated or sliced cheese, and pop it under the grill for a few minutes until gooey and delicious.
- Mushroom and Gruyere – Sautéed mushrooms with melted Gruyere cheese create a savory and earthy topping for your waffle.
- Mexican – Think refried beans, salsa, sour cream, and cheese.
- Hummus and cucumber – Create a healthy waffle snack with hummus, sliced cucumber, spices, and sesame seeds.
- Pulled pork and coleslaw – A meaty twist that turns waffles into a filling meal.
- Fried chicken and peri peri sauce: The popular combination of crispy fried chicken and spicy hot sauce on a waffle is a beloved dish known as chicken and waffles.
- Spinach and feta – Sautéed spinach and crumbled feta cheese offer a healthy and flavorful combination.
- Sausage and gravy – Fried sausage slices and gravy poured generously over your waffle provide a comforting meal.
- Brie and fig jam – Creamy brie cheese paired with sweet and tangy fig jam creates an elegant and gourmet waffle topping.